Friday, October 09, 2009

"only a few days before that, couple of days before at the most, really, I'd been reading in my new testatment. my little girl gave it to me. I've got it right now in my kit." The colonel half rose, sat back down. "but I'll spare you. the point is -- aha! yes! the bastard has a point and isn't too damn drunk to bring it home -- this is the point, will." nobody else ever called him will. "st. paul says there is one god, he confirms that, but he says, 'there is one god, and many administrations.' I understand that to mean you can wander out of one universe and into another just by pointing your feet and forward march. I mean you can come to a land where the fate of human beings is completely different from what you understood it to be. and this utterly different universe is administered through the earth itself. up through the dirt, goddam it."

from tree of smoke by denis johnson